Dental Amalgam Mercury Syndrome

Mercury is a component of the amalgam used for "silver" fillings. The other major ingredients are silver, tin, copper, and zinc. When mixed, these elements bond to form a strong, stable substance.

Over the years, amalgam has been used for many millions of dental restorations without any evidence of major health problems. Yes, very sensitive techniques have demonstrated that minute levels of mercury are released from amalgam restorations, but no health consequences from exposure to such low levels of mercury released from amalgam restorations have ever been demonstrated[1]. Mercury exposure due to dental amalgam fillings has been found to be far below the lowest levels associated with harm.
Yet, on sites that are aimed at disinforming you, it is stated that the mercury in these dental filling are slowly poisoning you. Symptoms of this so-called poisoning are mimicking those of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and are desperately vague. See here for an seemingly endless list of symptoms.

Mercury is undoubtedly a poisonous metal and real problems shall occur when you are exposed to it. Common symptoms of mercury poisoning include peripheral neuropathy (presenting as paresthesia or itching, burning or pain), skin discoloration (pink cheeks, fingertips and toes), swelling, and desquamation (shedding or peeling of skin).

[1] FDA: About Dental Amalgam Fillings - 2014. See here.

1 opmerking:

  1. Although dental amalgam is a commonly used dental material, over the years a lot of concerns have been raised regarding the mercury content present in it. This silver filling is made using a combination of materials including, silver, mercury, zinc, copper and tin. The presence of mercury makes it pliable, which allows it to press easily into the tooth, dry quickly and survive the forces of chewing. These silver fillings are usually used for large cavities and places where a lot of force is needed such as the back of the teeth.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen